My thoughts (Cheryl Stonestreet):
The journey of the Magi and these verses may not seem connected, but I believe they are. They are connected by the word journey, using journey as a verb — an action word.
“Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you.” (NRSV)
Ask, search, and knock are all action words. These verbs incite us to get up and do something, to set out upon a journey. However, along with action they require fore-thought. What do you want? What are you looking for? Which door do you want opened — in what direction do you want to go?
Life is a journey. Where do you want to go in your journey? God will make the opportunities available to you. Your part is to figure out what you want.
While discerning what you want, keep in mind the other lessons of the Magi.
- Do your homework so you know what signs to watch for. Be still, pray and meditate.
- Do not fear. The God Who Loves has put you on this path and will take care of you.
- Use the talents you were given, and don’t be afraid to stretch yourself.
- Share your gifts with others so that they may embark fully upon their journeys, too.
- Travel humbly, for we are all only human.
Thought for the day: We have each been given this Life/Journey. It is no small thing. It is up to me to decide what I want to do with mine. May I watch and listen closely to the lessons set before me, so that I may learn how best to use my Life/Journey to God’s greatest glory.
We encourage you to include a time of prayer with this reading. If you need a place to get started, consider the suggestions on the How to Pray page.